ADHD is one of the most common behavioral issues that affect children, teens, and adults. Those who are unfortunate enough to have this condition also tend to suffer from bipolar disorder, OCD, anxiety and panic attacks, sleep disorders, and depression, to name a few. If this wasn’t all, certain researches on this subject also show that a majority of adolescents with ADHD also tend to have a substance abuse problem.
More often than not, they are just driven by their instincts to go for various drugs such as Marijuana and Heroin in order to soothe the symptoms accompanying ADHD. This can be taken as ‘Self Medication,’ and needless to say, it is like going from the firepan to the fire. So, what is the solution to this? Let us go through the following pointers to get a better perspective about the same:
- The very first step in this direction is to get an early diagnosis from the best healthcare facility that you can find. These facilities will have all the necessary resources and well-trained doctors, paramedics, and other professionals who can meet out comprehensive treatment to the patient. Once the case is professionally evaluated, it becomes all the easier to take the next step, which is to opt for interactive sessions.
- There is no dearth of professionals who are known to take exceptional interactive sessions for ADHD patients who are into substance abuse. They will go through their case studies and, based on that, they will offer customized sessions that will offer the patients numerous benefits. The duration of these sessions varies from case to case and patient to patient.
- Closely monitoring the ADHD medications of the patients can go a long way in assuring that they do not take any substances that are not prescribed by their doctors. This is a somewhat difficult step, but then it shows positive results. So, it can definitely be tried out by close relatives or the family of the patient.
- Another step in this direction, which is considered to be morally effective, is that of joining ADHD support groups. To know about a close group home, the patients need to research on the internet or ask their physicians/psychiatrists to suggest to them the names of the best groups that will offer them an advantage.
- Addiction treatment centers that offer rehab to the patients are another effective solution for ADHD patients who are addicted to Marijuana. These centers are well-experienced in taking in a number of patients every year and treating them in the best possible manner. So, all that one needs to do is to contact these centers if everything else fails.
These are some of the steps that can be taken to curb patients with ADHD who are addicted to certain drugs like marijuana. Apart from taking these measures, one also needs to be patient and have faith in various treatment methods. If you, too, have something that you want to share on this topic, feel free to do so via your comments.